CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, May 7, 2012

Chicken Coop




THE COOP MASTER
I have been dreaming of chickens at my house for years.  I finally convinced Case and now he is on board.  I saw the spark ignite in him and I knew there was no stopping now.  The coop master was born....
We found some coops online and adjusted accordingly for our needs. 
Case just did it one step at a time.  He was learning as he worked.
 His carpentry skills were challenged and developed all along the way.


He had a bit of help from the kids, who were also very curious. 

Future Chicken Farmer of America....Go Aggies!
The Frame....Looking Coop-y


NOW IT'S MAMA'S TIME TO SHINE
I was over the painting and sealing portion.  (Not to mention, caring for the kids while dad worked 2 weeks straight, weekends and nights.  Seriously this project took every spare moment and thought.   It was all Case could think about, like he had chicken coop - bird flu, ha!   I did love caring for my chicken farmer as well.  I brought him water, snacks, sunscreen, hat and assisted with building.   A small piece of the farm in the busy city.  Farm and land? Maybe someday...but for now this will have to do.  

 I recruited some little painters.  We learned how to use the primary colors to make different colors. They painted blocks from scrap wood left over from the "cooping."  This kept them busy while I painted as well.


Then they painted under the coop in the cage.  
THEN WAH-LAH, COOP-ERIFIC!!!
(if only it were that magically easy)
My wise man truly lives up to his name.  
He used his wisdom and perfectionist skills
 to make an amazing coop.

WISE-MAN COOP FEATURES
2 Windows
3 Doors
1 Screen door
2 Nest Boxes 
3 Vents
2 Ramps
1 Trap door into an
enclosed cage underneath
1 Roosting perch
1 Poop box
1 Vented window
Tin Roof
Many latches and hooks
Lots of decorative trim
Colorful Paint!
Inside the Coop Shows the
 Nest Boxes, Roost, Poop Box, and Trap Door
Front of Coop With Nesting Box, Window and Vent Window
The Coop is Complete!
Now all we need are the Chickens

Chickens checkin' out the new coop.
We adopted them from our friends.  
Thanks Smith Family for Sharing Your Chicas!
Liam would not put the chicken down.  
He learned how to pick it up on his own.
 He would grab the small one and sit there with a big smile just saying, "bok-bok".  One day, I couldn't find him.  I went outside and he was walking up to the back door with a chicken in hand and a big grin. 


Gabe was all smiles too.  Quietly curious and happy to have the coop done.
 Now we can have our chickens and our dad back.  He is the least enthusiastic of the kids about our new pets, but doesn't mean he isn't happy for them.  In his prayers he says, "bless the chicken coop and the chickens."  Good boy, praying over our flock...just like the scriptures say =).


Sophia has been begging for some sort of animal for awhile now.  We finally granted her wish.  She loves them and checks on them several times a day.  She named hers Claire.  Named using her middle name.  We decided chickens may be the best pet for our family.  They are low-maintenance (no walking the chicken necessary).  They even put themselves to bed.  Also, they stay outside and best of all give us EGGS!! 
Hooray for our first egg!




Our 3 Happy Chickens 
(The ladies from left to right....Claire, Ms. Bok-Bok, Big Red)
Now, we have been re-coop-erating
and we have our first dozen eggs.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! How fun! Eric and I just read and looked at all the pictures, thanks for posting :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes and thanks for the extra motivation to get it posted. We are loving our new girls!

    ReplyDelete