THE ADVENTURETTES
Our Adventure Race
THE POINT ADVENTURE RACE
PRETTY IN PINK
Casey Feller, Megan Wiseman, Melissa Garn
Casey asked Melissa and I to do this race in April. We both were like, "are you sure?"
When I told Casey he just laughed and said, "she couldn't find anyone else?" At that point I decided to prove him wrong. So the training began. Early morning runs and bikes. I then asked what he thought of all my training he said, "I think it is hot." Hot mama, that is right! I even had to learn to use a clip-in road bike. Which took some getting used to. Of course, I fell at the Main Street light for all to see. I kayaked and rock climbed only once in preparation. Hopefully, it would be enough so I would not be totally humiliated or unable to finish the race. Race day came. We began the day by giddily preparing our map coordinates and gear. Everyone probably thought the mama's in pink were no threat. Seeing our ten children running around and our fancy matching outfits.
The race began and it started out rough for us. Seeing how everyone else had gotten the memo that we were going to haul our boats to the start. Some had wheels or burly men to carry the boats. We just had us. We ended up dragging into the river like 5 minutes behind. After the slow start, we weaved our way down river. We got high-centered, knocking paddles, laughing, singing or swearing the whole way. One time we headed straight into a tree and tip over. It was not looking good for our team. We came out of the water last and way behind. The dads and kids were waiting for us. They had squirted us along the way and now were cheering us on, even in our embarrassing exit from the water. Next, we changed into our running shoes and headed 1 1/2 miles to the rock climb. I was already tired from our hour trip down river. Luckily, the climb was backed-up and we caught up to the other racers. We 'rocked' the wall and gained 65 minutes off our time.
Then we ran back to the bikes. It was getting hot and we still had the bike, whew! We saw the team in front of us and were determined to catch them. We passed them within a few minutes. Then we past another. We were on a roll. Then we missed a check point and had to turn back. The teams caught up to us, oh man. We kept pushing on. We got one more check point and were headed up a monster hill. We got up half way and realized we need to turn around so we could make it back in time. We had 30 minutes. We needed to get back, it was a 10 min penalty every minute passed 2:00. We hauled it back. With one crash and a lot of sweat, we made it back right on the dot. 2:00! Then the director added up our score. We were in 2nd place! The first place team could hardly believe that the underestimated, hot pink mamas had taken 2nd. Hooray for us and thanks to Casey for motivating us to do it.







No comments:
Post a Comment