CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, April 30, 2009

New Garden


Sophia got a little set of garden tools so she can help out in the yard and garden.  It was so cute to watch her mimic her dad.  If he picked up the shovel so did she, if he filled the wheelbarrow she would too.  She is learning a lot from the garden.  I love how the garden really brings us together.    We are learning to  work.  We are outside enjoying the gift of dirt, seeds, sun and water.
What a blessing it is to our family to have a garden to care for it, watch it grow and eat the fruit of our labor. 

Casey has been working his tail off building and preparing this beautiful garden.  He is a perfectionist so his work is amazing.  (He is hiring out for a price).    We have, I think, 224 square feet of garden, I'll have to check with my human calculator on that one.  He built the boxes, filled them with super-duper dirt and made trellis'.  We are super excited to watch our plants grow, well that is the hope.  We want to test everything and see how it works.  We are really experimental gardeners and not experts, that is the goal.  We are trying a few new things this year like staggering when we plant and growing on trellis'. I recommend square foot gardening, so far so good.  I guess the true test will be at harvest time. 
Sophia is a good garden helper.  She even has her own little box we made her.  She planted peas and carrots.  She loves watering them and watching them grow.   Gabe likes to pretend he's helping or at least cause Daddy stress, by threatening to disrupt the garden.   He is cute I love watching him outside.   He always wants to put on his jacket and shoes so he can go out.  He will stand at the door pointing, signaling to mom he has been cooped up long enough and wants to go out.   He can climb up the swing set by himself and likes to bounce on the tramp.   He is more brave than Sophia was so I have to keep an eye on him. 
Two New Fruit Trees 
Our little orchard is on its way. . .One Peach, One Apple

5 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous. We are dying to have a garden, but we live in an apartment so for the time being we're going to have to do inside small stuff. Let me know how it goes, the boxes look awesome and I can't wait to hear how they work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great garden. It looks so good. I bet tyou are going to have some yummy food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at you guys! I actually called you tonight from Home Depot cause I was wondering where Casey got those thingies (yes, that's the proper term) to carve out the square feet...thingies. Couldn't find them anywhere (well, in Home Depot that is). Oh, and as for your post about the worn out mother who has no time to take care of herself comment, I hear ya on that one. Only you look great all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like so much fun, I am not much of a gardener but before we moved to this condo Andy had a lot of fun with a garden. And I loved having onions and tomatoes and cucumbers whenever! I can't believe you made that cardboard castle, good job! Your kids are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun, What a huge garden! Your kids are so cute, I can't believe how big they are getting.

    ReplyDelete