WILD ALASKAN ADVENTURE...REALLY BEGINS
HIKING IN ALASKA
Megan's first day in Alaska was filled with activity. Now it was time to really begin the fun together. We started out by trying to rollerblade on the coast, but had to turn around because Casey's blades were to small. We got the idea and it was pretty, until Case was pretty lame with squished toes. So we decided to try a hike instead. Flat Top Mountain is a favorite hike here in Anchorage. It was definitely not flat until the top. Whew! Good hike, a little rain and windy at the top. At times I felt like a mountain goat climbing rocky cliffs. In my mind I kept thinking, "3 babies at home". (a reoccurring thought throughout my Alaskan adventures). On the way up and down Casey was patient with his slow hiking partner. After hiking with Keith this was probably a walk in the park. It was great to see Alaska from a from so high up. The mountains there are different then Utah mountains. They are more steep, angular and full of lushes green vegetation. What is it in mankind that makes us want to climb to such heights. Is there like some internal need to progress or some great fulfillment of conquering a great mountain. I know I am obsessed with the olden' days, but I can imagine people hiking like this just to get from here to there in the "olden' days". Well whatever it is, here we were with many others aspiring for something higher. Hiking as those ancestors before us did, but our trip was for pure thrill. The next hike we went to was through the Alaskan rainforest. Yes, Alaska has rain forests. Something I was not aware of until I was hiking in it. The massive spruce forest are full of lush underbrush. There were very few hikers on this trail. We were nervous about bears and had our spray ready. I was hoping not to have to use it.
Luckly no bears, at least not this time =) (foreshadow).
We made our way through a soggy trail to a hand tram.
We pulled ourselves over a river and to the other side. We saw some rafters float under us.
It was a dazzling sight with the drizzling rain all around us in the Wild Alaskan rainforest.
Side note: I thought almost everything sounded better with 'Wild Alaskan' in front of it. The whole trip I kept using the phrase wild Alaskan. Case found the humor turning into annoyance and then he actually started using the phrase too, yes success!
Our Trip includes lots of Wild Alaskan Weather, Wild Alaskan Animals,
Wild Alaskan Frontier and Wild Alaskan Adventures....
all for the sake of these Wild Alaskan Lovers =)!








No comments:
Post a Comment